"Your event, is your event."
Although not the most profound of statements, it is one that can often be forgotten and if forgotten can add an unneeded element of risk to your night. You owe it to yourself to determine exactly what you are in for when hiring the DJ service in question and if they can make your event theunforgettable, jaw-dropping beautiful night it needs to be.
Asking for a consultation with your DJ service should not be an issue for a professional DJ service, if they are unwilling, you should consider looking elsewhere. To help you in the consultation process, I have compiled a list of every question I have encountered as an experienced wedding DJ to help gauge their professionalism, honesty, reliability and quality;
- Are you available for our event date?
- What is your pricing policy? what is included in the cost of my event?
- Are there any other services you provide? (eg dancefloor lighting, smoke machines, photo-booths etc.)
- Do you offer a written contract?
- Are you insured with Public Liability Cover?
- How long have you been operating as a professional DJ?
- Is there an event type you typically DJ for?
- Are you able to meet in person before we hire you?
- Will you play longer than the agreed time if required?
- What music would you recommend and suggestions do you have for our night?
- Are we able to requests songs and are you adaptable to changes throughout the night?
- Are you able to play music for a wide demographic of people?
- Are you able to dress professionally for our event?
- How early can you set up before the event?
- Are you able to run party games?
- Can you MC for my event?
- Will you need dinner provided to you on the night?
- Do you take breaks?
- What would happen if you were suddenly unable to attend our event?
- Can you provide me with a list of recent clients that I can contact for references?
- Can I visit you at a performance?
- What safeguards do you have in place given your equipment failed?
- May I see your song list?
- How do you keep your music collection up to date?
- How big is your music catalog?
- Do you have a microphone/wireless microphone?
- Do you have dance-floor lighting?
- What is the equipment that you use? Do you have backup if it is to fail?
...and that's the list! Making sure you have asked all questions that are relevant to your night is the best way to ensure it goes just as you had imagined. If you have any other questions you would like to contribute for others please provide them in the comment section below.